National Sports Law Institute’s Annual Fall Sports Law Conference Set for October 15
The National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School will present its annual fall conference on Friday, October 15. It will feature Perspectives from members of our Sports Law Alumni Association who teach sports law and sports management at various universities around the country. The conference will cover a wide range of topics, from gender equity issues related to the impact of the Supreme Court’s Bostock decision on transgender participation in sport, and the epidemic of sexual harassment in NCAA college sports; technology and intellectual property issues related to wearable technology and its impact on name, image, and likeness rights, the use of brain implants or Whole Brain Emulation in football, and trade secret protection in auto racing; team and facility issues in professional sports from disputes over ownership and relocation of franchises, to the development and evolution of naming rights; legal issues impacting international sport including the use of U.S. federal law to combat sports corruption, new federal efforts to combat sports doping, and the evolution of European soccer over the past 25 years. The conference will also include a keynote focused on issues faced by the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the Tokyo Olympics.
Conference participants include:
- Paul Anderson (L’95), Director, Sports Law Program and National Sports Law Institute, and Adjunct Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI
- Dr. Genevieve F.E. Birren (L’04), Associate Professor, Sport Management, SUNY Cortland, Cortland, NY
- Dr. Sarah Brown (L’14), Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Applied Physiology & Wellness, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX
- Kerri Cebula (L’06), Associate Professor of Sports Management, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, Kutztown, PA
- Mark Dodds (L’05), Professor, Sport Management Department, SUNY Cortland, Cortland, NY
- James Gray (L’90), Professor and Sport & Recreation Management Program Director, Marian University, Fond du Lac, WI
- Martin Greenberg (L’71), Adjunct Professor of Law and Founder, National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School, Attorney, Law Offices of Martin J. Greenberg, LLC, Milwaukee, WI
- Aaron Hernandez (L’13), Director, Allan Bud Selig Sports Law and Business Program, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ
- Lauren McCoy (L’09), Assistant Professor, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC
- William Miller (L’96), Associate Professor of Sport Management, University of Wisconsin – Parkside, Kenosha, WI
- Matt Mitten, Professor of Law and Executive Director, National Sports Law Institute and LL.M. in Sports Law Program for Foreign Lawyers, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI, and member, Court of Arbitration for Sport, Anti-doping Division, XXXII Summer Olympic Games, Tokyo, Japan
- James Wold (L’17), former Associate Attorney, Stupar, Schuster & Bartell, Milwaukee, WI
Complete details along with registration information can be found online here.