On April 12, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law’s Entertainment and Sports Law Association will host its 9th Annual Entertainment and Sports Law Symposium. Every year, C-M Law’s ESLA hosts a Spring Symposium in which attorneys and professionals from around the country discuss emerging legal topics and developments in the entertainment and sports law industry. In its 9th year, the Symposium will have panels discussing the evolution of player safety in professional and amateur sports, esports, a legal snapshot of the entertainment industry, and ethics in collegiate athletics.
Pursuant to the schedule below, the Symposium will run from 12:15 PM to 5:30 PM, with a reception to follow, in Cleveland-Marshall College of Law’s Moot Court Room. Cleveland-Marshall College of Law is located at 1801 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115. The Symposium will offer 4 hours of CLE credit, including 1 hour of Professional Conduct credit. To register for the Symposium, please visit the following link: Cleveland-Marshall College of Law 9th Annual Symposium
Schedule of Events – Cleveland-Marshall College of Law’s 9th Annual Entertainment and Sports Law Symposium
Check in: 11:30-12:15 p.m.
Greeting and Introduction: (12:15-12:30)
- Symposium Presented by the Lake County Captains
- Panels Sponsored by The Cleveland State University Alumni Association, the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Alumni Association, Donna Caputo Ramsey LLC, and our media sponsor LawInSport.
- Snacks, water, and coffee will be available throughout the Symposium
Panel 1: Evolution of Player Safety in Professional Sports (12:30-1:30 p.m.)
- Moderator: Peter Carfagna, Founder, Magis, LLC and Professor of Law, Harvard School of Law
- Sophie Gage, Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs, NFL Players Association.
- Tammi Gaw, Founder and Executive Director, Advantage Rule LLC
- Dr. Jim Rosneck, Orthopedic Surgeon, Cleveland Clinic and Head Team Physician, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Zoltan Mesko, Co-Founder, Exero Labs and former NFL Player, New England Patriots
Panel 2: Entertainment Law Today: A Snapshot of the Industry (1:40-2:40 p.m.)
- Moderator: Angelin Chang, Professor of Music and Law, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law and GRAMMY Award Winner
- Peter Strand, Partner, Mandell Menkes LLC and Chair-Elect for the Forum on Entertainment and Sports, American Bar Association
- Paul Farberman, President, Paul Farberman Entertainment
- Neeta Ragoowansi, SVP, Business Development & Legal Affairs/Co-Founder at NPREX (National Performing Rights Exchange)
Panel 3: Ethics in Collegiate Athletics (3:20-4:20 p.m.)
- Moderator: Rafael Hernandez-Brito, “El Alcalde”, Bilingual Play by Play Announcer of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Spanish Play by Play Announcer for the Cleveland Browns
- Ricky Volante, Chief Executive Officer, The Historical Basketball League Enterprises, Inc.
- Patrick Hruby, Contributing Writer to Media Outlets including The Atlantic, ESPN the Magazine, The New York Times, and the Washington Post.
- Theresa Walton-Fisette, Professor, Kent State University
- Susan Stone, Partner, Kohrman Jackson and Krantz
- Kristina Supler, Partner, Kohrman Jackson and Krantz
Panel 4: The Rise of the esports Industry (4:30-5:30 p.m.)
- Moderator: Melissa Bailey, Attorney, Brooks Pierce
- Krista Hiner, Attorney, ESG Law
- Hal Biagas, Executive Director, NA LCS Players Association
- Anthony Muraco, Director of Gaming Operations, Cleveland Cavaliers
Cocktail Reception: (5:30-6:30 p.m.)
- Sponsored by McGowan Professional Athletes & Entertainers (PAE)
- Hors d’oeuvres and drinks will be served