National Sports Law Institute Fall Conference Set for Friday, October 16
The National Sports Law Institute’s Annual Fall conference will take place online on Microsoft Teams on Friday, October 16, 2020. This year’s conference will focus on Perspectives from a Sports Law Faculty, and feature our own Sports Law Program faculty members, many who are members of this association, along with a few other alums, discussing areas within their expertise and connected to courses they teach at Marquette. The conference will run from 12 – 5 pm.
The participants and discussions will be as follows
- Professor Jaime McGaver (L’07), Director of Compliance, Marquette University, & Professor Jessica Kumke (L’08), Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and Enrollment Services, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, who teach a workshop on NCAA Governance and Compliance . They will be leading a panel discussion on Issues in College Athletics-Pandemic Edition featuring fellow Sports Law Program alumni –
- Matt Banker (L’01), Associate Athletic Director – Compliance, University of Louisville,
- Teresa Covington (L’12), Assistant Athletic Director/Compliance and Student-Athlete Affairs, Temple University,
- Craig Pintens (L’01), Athletic Director, Loyola Marymount University, and
- Kevin Prochaska (L’09), Associate Director of Compliance, University of Colorado-Boulder
- Professor Paul Anderson (L’95), Director, Sports Law Program and National Sports Law Institute, Marquette University Law School, who teaches a Workshop on The Impact of Gender Equity Law on Sport, and will discuss Sexual Harassment in College Athletics, Due Process Rights and a New Standard.
- Professor Martin J. Greenberg (L’71), Managing Member, Law Office of Martin J. Greenberg, LLC, Adjunct Professor of Law, who has taught a Workshop on Representing Professional Athletes and Coaches for the better part of the past 4 decades (I am co-teaching it with him this semester), will discuss A Financial Divorce – When a Coach is Terminated Without Cause.
- Professor Joseph E. Tierney, III (L’66), Shareholder, Meissner Tierney Fisher & Nichols S.C., and Professor Martin Tierney, partner and group co-leader, employee benefits, Michael Best & Friedrich, LLP, who co-teach a Sports Industry Taxation Issues course will discuss The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good: Interstate Taxation of Professional Athletes and Federal Taxation of Player Trades.
- Professor Jim McKeown, Partner and Member, Antitrust Practice Group, Foley & Lardner LLP, who co-teaches a Workshop on Sports Industry Governance will discuss Hot Topics in the Application of Antitrust Law to Sports.
- Professor Matthew Mitten, Executive Director, National Sports Law Institute and member of the Court of Arbitration for Sport, will discuss Olympic Sports Arbitration.
Complete details on the conference can be found on the conference website. If you are interested in joining us please register online by clicking here. Space is filling up fast, so please consider registering soon.